Lehmann Henschke - Person Sheet
Lehmann Henschke - Person Sheet
NameVORWERK, Friedrich Wilhelm (William)
Birthca 1836, Posen, Prussia11608
Immigration21 Dec 1847, ‘Gellert’11608,398 Age: 11
Death28 Aug 1880, Square Mile, SA11608,6351,16349,16350 Age: 44
BurialMieschel Park, Mount Gambier, SA6351
FatherVORWERK, Carl (Charles) Ernst (ca1804-1884)
MotherDORNSKE, Louisa (ca1805-1866)
Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA : 1861 - 1954) Wednesday 1 September 188016350

An inquest on the body of William Vorwerk,
farmer, living at the Square Mile', was held by
Mr. G. B. Scott, S.M., Coroner, at deceased's
residence on Monday morning, August 30. The
following jury were empanelled:-J. M. Jens,
(foreman), A. E. Webb, W. H. Harrison, J.
Keegan, J. Hogan, jun., C. MacKenzie, Johann
Schinckel, Emil Studemann, John Buchan, Julius
Hienemann, F. Garathaussen, and H F. Kes-
The following evidence was taken :
Christina Vorwerk, sworn-Am the wife of
the deceased William Yorwerk. On Saturday he
was at home, and had a little wine.. He was in
pretty good health, but a little tipsy. He
had been absent from Thursday, and returned
on Friday afternoon after dinner. He was not
sober when he came home. He brought half-a
gallon of wine with him. I did not see anything
else with him. He frequently got tipsy. He
was quiet on Friday afternoon lying on the floor.
On Saturday morning he got some more wine
and was tipsy. About 12 o'clock in the morn
ing be showed me a parcel he had in his hand,
saying, "This is enough for me." Did not
know what was in the parcel; thought it was
poison, I tried to take it away, but he ran
away. He went to bed again, and lay till
about 2 o'clock. He called me to him, said he
had taken something and wanted a drink. Give  
him a drink of water, and he said, "I have
got something but would not tell me what
it was. He'said, "Good-bye," to me, "I have
got enough." I could not find any poison. I
never heard him threaten to kill himself before.
Cannot find the paper he had. It was a white
paper he had in his hand. Think he had trouble
on his mind. He gave the farm to me, and. I
think he was sorry for it; sometimes he' was
satisfied, sometimes not. He died about 7 o'clock
on Saturday evening. He was very sick before
he died. Sent for a doctor. He told me he
had taken three spoonfuls of it. He did
not say what it was. He was dead before
the doctor came. Sent for my sister about 2
o'clock, but she did not come. Tried to get the
parcel away, but could not find it. He laughed
at me. He was drunk all the time. He said
he would not give me the parcel. By the fore
man-Could not find the parcel. He did not
say where he got it. He did not threaten to kill
himself on Saturday. He was 44 years of age.
Told him I would send for the doctor. He said,
'' It is too late," but I did send.
Dr. A. Worsley Powell, sworn, said : I was
called to see the deceased on Saturday night last
about 8 o'clock. Went at once. Saw deceased,
he was dead before I arrived, I should think
about two hours. Looked at the position of the
body. The people of the house told me he had
taken poison. Found that he had been very
sick, and very much pained. The vomit was
gone. Was informed he had bought poison on
Thursday. Made, a post mortem examination
of the body yesterday. Found the body well
nourished, and seemingly that of a healthy man,
presenting no signs of being an habitual
drunkard. The lungs were quite healthy, and
the liver normal. Upon examination of the
stomach I found it full of fluid. It presented
the characteristic inflammation of arsenic poison
ing, and it extended into the duodenum, show
ing that a very large dose had been taken. Have
no doubt it was arsenic, which was the cause of
Amanda Loechel, sworn-Am servant to Mrs.
Vorwerk. Have lived in the house for the last
six months, and knew the deceased well. He
was a little tipsy on-Saturday last. Saw him
with a parcel in his hand about two o'clock-a
red parcel like blotting paper. There was
written on it-"Arsenic, poison." It was open.
He said to witness, "That will do me for some
time." Did not answer him. Did not believe
he would take it. Tried to get it, but could
not. Would not believe he was going to poison
himself. He was very sick about 4 or 5 oclock.
He called Martin, and said, " I am very sick."
He called for a drink, and Mrs. Vorwerk gave
him one. Had searched everywhere for the
parcel, but could not find it. Did not hear him.
threaten to kill himself. Did not know any
reason why he should kill himself. He seemed
sorry in his manner, but did not know why.
Deceased and his wife seemed pretty happy
sometimes. He died after sunset. Don't know
the exact time. Never saw the poison until
about 2 o'clock on Saturday.
John Maxwell MacKay, chemist's assistant,
sworn-Know the deceased. He came to Mr.
Pritchard's shop on Thursday last. He got one
shilling's worth of arsenic - two pounds.
Cautioned him in the usual way. He said it
was for foot-rotting sheep. He had a witness.
I produce the book with the entry, witnessed by
H. H. Barrett. Deceased took the poison with
him. We are always very particular in selling
poison, and get a disinterested witness. De
ceased was perfectly sober at the time. It
was about two or three o'clock on Thursday last.
William Saunders, laborer, sworn - Am
laborer for Mr. Norman, farmer, Square Mile.
Know the deceased. Saw him on Thursday last
about 10 p.m. at Mr. Norman's. He came
home with me from the Mount about 6 p.m.
He was three parts drunk. I saw he had a
parcel with him, but did not know its contents.
He lay in the waggon; did not talk much ; said  
nothing about the poison. He slept at the end
of Norman's house on Thursday night, he would
not come in. Saw him at a distance next
Sergeant Field, stationed at Mount Gambier,
sworn-On Saturday night, about 10 p.m., Dr.
Powell reported to me that one Willian Vorwerk,
farmer, had poisoned himself at the Square
Mile. Came home yesterday morning soon after
daylight. Examined the body and clothes of
deceased and could find no trace of the poison.
I then, with the children and neighbors, searched
diligently for some trace of the poison, but could
not discover it. -KReturned to the Mount and
reported the circumstances to the Coroner.
Sent P.T. Mack to make search, but could not
find the poison. Fear that the parcel must have
been thrown down the well.
The Jury, after a few minutes consultation,
brought in the following verdict-"That the
deceased, William Vorwerk, came to his death
by taking arsenic While in a state of temporary
insanity caused through drink."
Immigration14 Oct 1850, ‘San Francisco’ Age: 13
Death11 Aug 1911, Mount Gambier, SA11608,16351,16352 Age: 74
FatherPATZEL, Johannes Gottlieb (1794-1881)
MotherNEUGEBAUER, Anna Rosina (1802-1881)
MarriageSilesia, Prussia11608
ChildrenCharles Edward (1859-1919)
 Julius (1861-1910)
 William (1862-)
 Hermann (1864-1942)
 Gustav Adolph (1866-1943)
 Carl Otto (1867-1913)
 Johann Albert (1868-1933)
 Johann Frederick Carl (1870-1938)
 Martha Maria Bertha (1872-1939)
 Martha Marie Mathilda (1873-1906)
 Martha Marie Mary (1874-1930)
 Johann Enest (1876-1876)
 Gustav Alexander (1877-1877)
Last Modified 17 Jan 2015Created 26 Feb 2024 using Reunion for Macintosh
Home Page

Web https://moadstorage.blob.core.windows.net/$web